Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tough Love

Since becoming a mother I have softened a fair bit. Some would say that is a good thing. Some would (and do) say that I have just turned into a softie. I am pretty sure that the old Mrs. K. was a better teacher than Mommy Me.

This year I am struggling with classroom management in a way that I have never before.

Recently I have been working hard on loving my students with tough, consistent love instead of endless patience. Consequences are everywhere. It feels like a steady stream of bodies heading to the office. And to top it all off, today Fearless Leader was in my classroom no less than six times. He was dragging students who wandered off to the bathroom back to class and checking on me.

He knows that I am struggling. He is doing everything he can to support me. But, what can he do beyond calling parents and asking them to come in and meet. He can't force them to come. Suspension isn't a punishment, and it doesn't do kids who are already more than a year behind any good.

School can be so much fun. Learning can be amazing and filled with wonder. But it isn't in my classroom right now. It's a drag. I am not having fun. My students are not having fun.

However, there are still those moments that make all the hair-greying-agony worthwhile. Today 75% of my class was actively engaged in exploring how prisms of various shapes and sizes interact with light. There were actual "oohs" and gasps as we created rainbows on the ceiling and walls.

And, dear, sweet Incredible Hulk with the heart of gold asked, "Am I doing better today?" I was delighted to answer yes.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Em,
I here you with the classroom management woes. I feel the same way this year. "Is it me?" I keep asking. "Did my teaching change?" Then I leave them with a supply and I realise that it's not. I have to keep reminding myself that God loves all his children and always give us grace, therefore I guess I have to as well. Unfortunately it's not always willinging and with a smile on our face. Remember, they won't remember what they learned but they'll remember if you loved them.
Hang in there, we're in the home stretch!!
Love ya'
Donna

Donna said...

Oops, wrong here, should be hear! That's what I get for typing while kids are screaming!!