Saturday, October 24, 2009

Beauty

Every time I drove to town I am struck anew with the vast diversity of beauty in creation. Last week the trees had lots of amber leaves fluttering in the wind. This week most of the amber is gone, but now the contrasting values and tones of green are becoming vivid against the grey skeletons of the deciduous trees. Some of the conifers have turned into flames of tangerine and look like they are dying. What a glorious death!

There are clear lines of tree-species as you look at each hill. The inspiration taken by the group of seven by the northern Ontario landscape is so very present still. I hope we will never batter this land beyond seeing that beauty.

I am sad to see new 'camp roads' being tamped down by the Saturday storm troopers this week. That is my new term for the Kenora locals who head for the bush every weekend. They are all driving north towards Grassy with pickups loaded with ATVs and camp gear on Saturday morning as we head into town. Then, as we return home loaded with new books and groceries, they are also returning home, loaded these days with wood.

There is a species of bird that migrates south directly through this region. They have white on their bellies and seem sandy-coloured on their backs when in flight. Mostly I noticed their white undersides, which seems to flash against the grey road as they fly ahead of the car.

We noticed them last fall just before the snow and only saw them for a few weeks. They were back for a short time in the spring. I think they might be from the Arctic. I wonder how far they have to go before they find their winter homes?

The geese are all gone, but many ducks are still lingering on the lakes. Does that mean an Indian summer is in store for us? Or are they foolish ducks who will be taken by surprise next week when winter arrives in all her pristine cold glory? I hope they know something I don't.

No comments: