We were trying to learn to multiply 4x32 in our heads by breaking the 32 into the tens (30) and the ones (2) like so... 4x32 = 4x30 + 4x2 = 120 + 8 = 128. It just wasn't working. They were frustrated with trying to break the larger numbers into manageable pieces. I was unsure how to break the steps down into chewable bits.
So we took a step back and left the lesson for a day.
Percolation ensued while they slept.
Today math was hard, but not anywhere near impossible. After an hour of solid hard work and serious enough thinking to cause little brow-furrows on several students, they got it. The looks on their faces when they realized that they had actively engaged a challenging task and mastered it by their own effort was priceless. They actually felt the sweetness of success!
I wanted to stop and dance on the desktops, I was so proud of them.
More importantly, they learned that success after hard work is something that feels really good.
And did that ever feel good for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment