The dog books that I have been reading say that your puppy will be house-trained "in no time" if you are attentive and don't let them have any accidents in the house. I am not sure what they mean by 'in no time", but it is not what I mean by the phrase.
We have spent the first week of our holiday diligently running outside to pee (her, not us) twelve or more times a day. We sleep with one ear tuned to puppy whines to make sure to take her out when she wakes up in the night. It is an awful lot like having your ear tuned to baby cries in the night.
The nights seem to have settled into 5 hours of sleep, then a bathroom break. After that she is primed to play. We, at 4 in the morning, are not. So there is an extended period of whining from the crate in the kitchen when we go back upstairs to bed. And we don't really get any sleep during that time because we are worrying if she needs to go again, or if she is being scarred by our letting her 'cry it out'. More flashbacks to the worries of my two human babies when they were learning to sleep through the night.
I am very hopeful that "in no time" will be before January is over. LK and I are a little punchy due to lack of sleep.
Sunday, December 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment