The last two nights a new talent has been revealed in our little bundle of joy; escape artist extraordinaire. We may have to change her name.
Her first two nights were as expected. Lots of sad piteous crying when she was left in the kitchen while everyone else went up to bed. My heart cracked into little pieces as the sadness she oozed at being asked to sleep all alone after eight weeks of a cozy puppy pile with all her siblings. I even started to suggest that maybe letting her sleep in our room wouldn't be so bad. I know, puppies, they make the hardest hearts into mush. But the sad cries were shorter the second night and we hoped for a good sleep by Christmas Eve.
Her third night here she lulled us into complacency with a peaceful and quiet bedtime at 10:30. Then we were awoken at 1:30 in the morning to her shrieking in what sounded like agonizing death and a strange scrabbling sound. Then PIT PAT, PIT PAT of little feet climbing the stairs. Astrid pushed the baby gate up and crawled underneath. And at the top of the stairs she plunked her little bottom down and looked up at me as I came out of our bedroom bleary-eyed and stumbling. "Aren't you proud of me that I could find you all by myself?" those big brown eyes asked.
First thing in the morning a piece of plywood was fastened to the gate completely destroying any modicum of decor in both kitchen and living room. Raw plywood is just not a look. Of course, puppy toys strewn about the floor is not really in any kitchen decor book either...
Last night another deceptively quiet bedtime, and then in the wee hours we woke to more shrieking and a loud THUMP. Then PIT PAT, PIT PAT. Up the stairs came our little billy goat and plunked her bum at the top of the stairs. This time she used the plywood to climb the gate and vault herself over it. I know as I witnessed her do it right after I took her back to the kitchen.
She seemed so confused that I wouldn't be thrilled at her persistent faithfulness in seeking out our company. Was that not her role as faithful canine companion and escape artist extraordinaire?
This morning, more plywood.
Monday, December 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment