Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lunch Date?

I wandered through McDonalds with my tray perched carefully trying not to overbalance it and lose my lunch onto the floor. And I ran into our Director of Education.  Not literally, thankfully.  But she was sitting right under my nose as I tried to decide where to sit.  I may not even have actually have registered who is was if she hadn't greeted me (zoned completely out as I often am when doing errands all by myself).

After a brief hello I impulsively invited myself to sit down and join her as she was also eating alone.  We had a lovely conversation and enjoyed our matching salads while we shared the joys of other treats (praline pecans for her and the new cookie recipe I tried this week for me) and caught up on summer news.

As I drove home afterwards with a smile on my face I realized that there aren't many workplaces where you have that relationship with your boss.  I was very thankful to be working in a place where instead of a brief hello and finding a spot to sit far away, I felt comfortable to engage in a serendipitous lunch date. 

No comments: