Wednesday, August 15, 2012

False Start

I went to school yesterday with the intention of getting some work done in my new room.  We don't officially go back to work until next Monday.  I am changing jobs into the resource department and have a big learning curve.  I was anticipating gently gearing up with a couple of hours moving furniture. 

But the room isn't done. 

And I was a bit relieved. 

There isn't much I can do until I dig out the files to start developing IEPs from my spring meeting notes.  And they are buried in a box in the pile of furniture from my room.

Usually I am chomping at the bit to get back to work.  But each summer for the past five years I have engaged a bit more in my family life during the holidays (you have heard of football widows?  my children are teacher-orphans) than the previous year.  I disengage from work more completely and come back to work better fortified for the challenges ahead.

This summer I disengaged completely.  I didn't even read a teacher blog over the summer!  It was really wonderfully refreshing.  And very much needed.

The room can wait until Monday.

No comments: