Wednesday, November 23, 2011

JUMPing

We have embarked on a journey into JUMP math in my classroom.  A few weeks ago, staff were asked if there were any volunteers to pilot a new math program.  And I got to participate. 

There are two of us doing the pilot on our staff, so I have a partner to wrestle over challenges with (very helpful when trying something new).  I also had a buddy with me for training on the weekend.

Four of us (the math coordinator, the math coach, and two teachers) went to the big city for two days learning about JUMP Math.  For information about the program you can hop over here. I will leave you to that yourself if you are interested (just so you know, I think it is fabulous so far).

On Monday we both dove in with two feet.

The first day was crazy and noisy.  BUT I had a student who tests out at an early first grade level for math multiplying independently!

The second day was also noisy.  We had the math coach and the math coordinator in and out of the room during the lesson offering support for students.  It was helpful, but the bodies moving in and out was also distracting.  Overall, day two was better than day one.  AND I saw another student who really struggles (and has been withdrawn for Resource full-time from math) multiplying accurately independently!

Today we waded into reading and drawing fractions.  AND they all did it beautifully.  They even drew thirds in a circle accurately (better then mine usually are) on the first try.

If this is any indication of how well laid out the instruction is going to be, I see all of my students succeeding in math this year.  What an awesome thing that will be.

No comments: