Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart or squeamish. If you suffer from either, skip this one. Remember, I warned you.
Today was 10K Day for the Running Goddess and I. Although we are both completely exhausted and at the very end of the marathon called a school year, we were determined to finish our training of the past 3 months together and run the whole shebang. And we did.
But not without incident.
It all started when I decided that a few more minutes of sleep was more important than getting ready without a rush. Running Lesson # 1: proper preparation for an important run is essential. More essential than that extra sleep.
I skipped my pre-run BM. Runners, you know where this is headed. Didn't I warn you that this wasn't for the faint of heart?
As I walked out the door I thought for a second about asking the Goddess to be patient while I went back to take care of business. I really should have. Hindsight 20/20.
As we launched into the run I realized that my body just needed a few more minutes and was now ready for that BM. However, we were already out on the road and turning back just seemed silly. There was also a bit of embarrassment on my part that I could be so dumb. So I just waited. Running Lesson # 2: Don't be embarrassed, be honest.
The run stopped being fun about 20 minutes in. Now it was just a long countdown to the inevitable dash off the road, into the bushes and hunt for non-poison ivy leaves large enough to get decently cleaned up. Running Lesson # 3: A pack with basic essentials (TP, hand sanitizer, and of course water) can be a real boon on a long run.
I lasted until the 40 minute mark. Quite a feat of endurance. Poor Goddess had to endure my agony second hand as I debated how much longer I could last; not exactly fun run conversation. Yeesh, I wonder if she'll ever want to run with me again?
So, I did the potty dash and was immensely relieved. Since we have had a fair bit of rain this week, the grasses were all quite damp, and gave a reasonable attempt at a hand wash. As I prepared to get back on the road, the dog that has been an occasional running companion this spring decided to check out what I was up to.
He/she took one sniff and ATE IT ALL! I warned you, didn't I? It was by far the grossest thing I have ever seen.
The entire way home we kept being shocked anew. I knew that they will eat their own vomit. But poop!?!?!? YUCK!!
So, my first 10K will be seared forever in my memory not because of race swag (which there was none, since it wasn't an official race) or the fabulous scenery (which there was, but we have run most of it 3x a week for 3 months), but because of a dog and a BM. And I am really rethinking dogs as pets.
Please do not direct complaints about content to the author. You were fairly warned. Life Lesson: Warnings are not there just to look pretty.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
after waiting so patiently for a blog from you this one took the cake for our family, hilarious laughter from the backseat of the van. It was well worth the wait, by the way yes dogs do eat their own jobbies. This is why some people froen at dogs licking people' faces. Thanks again!! Can't wait to see you soon.
Cora, David ,Danieland Rachael
Ha! You are a riot. The dog was an unexpected extra laugh. I had no idea they would do that - but hen again I haven't had the opportunity to experiment. Perhaps it was the warmth.
Congrats on the running!!
Love it! Too funny. I love a girl who is not afraid to write about poop!!!!
Post a Comment