Friday, June 12, 2009

Where Did My Week Go?

Monday night we had a closing potluck for our Small Group which was lovely. LK again was shafted when none of the other guys made it. So it was him and the women, again. However, we learned that 45% of the students had been away from school and the flu was sweeping through Grassy (but not N1H1, in case anyone is panicking). School was closed for Tuesday and Wednesday. Since reports were due on Thursday, that opened up my schedule to finish them off in a totally relaxed manner. This has never happened to me before- writing report cards in a relaxed manner. It was wonderful. I still got to spend the evenings with my family instead of holed up at the computer, writing.

Thursday LK, Jo and Fi went into town to get the car ready for the trip. Unfortunately Jo barfed all over his side of the car just before they got to town. It shows what a trouper my spouse is that he just kept trucking with the windows open. So, while the car was in for its medical, the family toddled off to 'the Walmart' to get a clean outfit for Barf Boy. The trip was quickly edited to essential errands only, and the Barfmobile was driven home (with Fiona plugging her nose all the way) and aired out as soon as possible.

I raced home after school to check on my family, worried that they were all coming down with the flu just before summer holidays. Jo is fine- he may have been carsick. LK is suffering more from exhaustion due to his lack of sleep over the past two weeks. He is dealing with a mysteriously growing case of poison ivy that won't go away, and he can't get comfortable enough to sleep at night. Fiona was a ray of sunshine, completely enjoying having four days in a row off school. She is pretty much on her summer schedule already.

Suddenly it is Friday and I have started the big clean up in my classroom. Our orders for next year have already come in, and they are all put away. So how can I possibly feel behind the 8-ball? Well, I am in the early end-of-year clean-up; which is always overwhelming. I have to organize and pack clothes for all four of us that will fit in the car, prepare us for all kinds of weather, and get us through an anniversary weekend as well as camping. That, my friends, is a task for Super-Mom. She doesn't live here. I wonder where I can find her?

To keep everything in perspective, my kids are an absolute delight these days. Jo is experimenting with sounds and words constantly. He is trying to count, but can only go "1, 2, 1, 2". He has discovered Leo Lionni books and loves to read about fish. Fiona is resonating with excitement about our trip. She lists the people we are going to see that she loves and misses daily. They are such amazing creatures. I constantly wonder, how in the world did I get to parent these amazing creatures?

No comments: