I have never claimed to be a wilderness kind of chick. It was with great trepidation that I said yes to a job way, way out of town. Living in a semi-remote situation was not exactly on my life list. However, it was a really good year. Hard in many ways, with lots of painful growing experiences, but really good. I know that LK and I have come out this June with a stronger marriage, deeper love, and more dependent on God for strength.
As June unfolded my anticipation of the familiar people and places we are going to see this summer built. After a marathon drive (we pushed ourselves to drive 23 hours the first day to be here early and surprise Opa for Father's Day) I am finally unwinding enough to do a little reflecting on our first few days down south.
First of all, I love the Bruce Peninsula. What a gorgeous area of Ontario. We have added it to our list of places to explore. Manitoulin Island is also on the list.
Second, my kids were amazing on the drive. They were cheerful for almost the entire trip, and endlessly patient with LK and I pushing on as far as we could each drive.
Now to my main rambling point... My first reaction on arriving in Sarnia was that everything is so manicured. There is mowed grass everywhere. I was also surprised by how much I noticed the smell of car exhaust. The city really does stink. Apologies to my folks who used to mention that TO was a little smelly and I thought they were being overly sensitive. You are right, peeuw.
On the other hand, what a treat to be able to pop out to the grocery store if an ingredient is forgotten for dinner. I can put the kids to bed, then go out to VV and Winners to shop for an hour and still have time with family when I got home. I like the close amenities. The kids love being able to run on the lawn barefoot without worrying what they might be stepping on. I love being able to have them play outside without going out on bear-watch myself.
It is bliss to be able to sit out on Oma & Opa's back patio together, watch the kids play and chat in the evening. In some ways it feels like we were here yesterday for out last visit rather than a year ago. It is wonderful to watch LK with his parents. He has worried from afar all winter and felt so unable to help. Now he can wade in and do stuff that he knows helps carry the burden a little bit. I love that man!
"He's a good Daddy," says Fi, who is reading over my shoulder as I write. Truer words were never spoken.
I had a flash forward three weeks this morning which brought me out of my 'living in the moment' to sitting out on my own parents deck, visiting and watching the kids playing. It made me long for our time with them to be here as well.
I am very thankful to have family on both sides that we can be with and be ourselves with. I am thankful that they are willing to let us camp out in their homes for extended visits this summer. I am thankful that we have this time to travel to see our loved ones. If LK was working full time we would be home for the summer.
Today I am committing to living in the moment for the duration of this summer trip- enjoying the here and now of each visit without looking ahead and longing for the next to come. There is time enough to see and enjoy everyone.
I will likely be a bit erratic in posting for the next few weeks. Time with family trumps blogging.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment