Thursday, September 8, 2011

Opening Celebrations

The opening powwow and feast are a celebration of a new school year. Each year they are a bit different. This year was the very best emotional tone for me of all those we have attended here.

I was proud of my class's behavior today. Although it was very hard for my antsy boys to be quiet and respectful while an elder opened, they were (for the most part) very quiet and respectful. After being told that they expectation at powwow was dance or watch, they all chose to do one of those. None of them complained or moaned about the heat or wanting to go play outside. And many of them danced.

I was also proud of the young men that participated from the community. Two high school students participated in the dancing as role models for the younger ones. They lead specials and called dancers in for other specials. Two others were a part of the drumming group leading the dancing. Many high school students served food carefully and faithfully, serving elders first with quiet deference.

I was really glad to be able to share the beauty of this amazing place and people today. I am richly blessed because of them.

No comments: