Every year teachers are evaluated by their administrators. They use rubrics or checklists- much like we use when assessing our students. My annual assessment was today.
At a minute to one Fearless Leader bounds into the classroom with a big grin and announces to my Teacher-Candidate colleague and I, "I'll just be here behind your desk." He proceeds to dig into the mountain of paperwork that is teaching with a zeal that makes me slightly nervous.
After the math lesson, while students are working on their assignments, one student leans over and says, "He's on your laptop!" in shocked tones. (Under no circumstances are students allowed to touch the teacher laptop.) I assured her that is is okay and that he is doing a report card on me just like I recently wrote for her. That gave her pause.
I am thankful for the relationship I have with Fearless Leader. During the time he was in the room he joked with students, teased me, and set our TC colleague at ease. It makes me realize how fortunate I am to be working in a place where I can chat with my boss while he is evaluating my work.
The weight floated off my shoulders as he walked out the door (because regardless of how much you get along with the boss; being evaluated to stressful). And then he poked his head back in ten minutes later, "Just so you know, you did fine. Some teachers were wondering if I didn't say anything." You think?
Mental note: validate my students every single day. It really matters.
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment