I am currently hosting a student teacher in my classroom. This is something that I love to do; it is a chance to see up-and-coming pedagogy used by someone else, a chance to support the continuation of quality teaching in classrooms, and the chance to challenge myself to practice what I preach more closely in front of another adult. It is fun, challenging, and provides a nice change of pace in the middle of the year.
The downside for me is that I am a control freak. It is really hard to let go of "my" classroom and let someone else make it theirs. I know that it is really good for me, as the classroom isn't really mine to start with. It forces me to let go and let someone else have a chance to fly. And it gives me the chance to support them (and have comfort that I am not the only one)when lessons do not always go according to plan and students don't act the way we want them to.
Today was a good, although challenging, day. My soon-to-be colleague had a bit of a rough time with the class this morning. She soldiered bravely on, and I resisted the strong impulse to jump in and rescue her mid-lesson. At lunch we sat down and debriefed. Then she took a few minutes to herself and to get a break (we didn't really have a break in today's schedule)and then came back to teach her next lesson. She showed courage in getting right back into things after having students challenge her authority. I was impressed with her calm and her courage.
Most of the time teaching is great. There are no better people to work with in the world than kids. But sometimes, when they are not doing so well, they take it out on the adults around them. Then teaching takes the guts of a soldier and the stamina of a marathoner. That is when we really show our worth. And those who can hack it, do teach.
I am excited to be working with someone who has the guts and is on her way to developing all the other tools of the trade that make teachers artists.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment