Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hidden Beauty

Part of being a teacher is participating in extra-curricular activities. Usually choir is my thing, although I was thinking this year that a change would be nice. It turns out that choir is just not happening at Grassy this year (2 students showed up once for practice), so I am stepping outside my box and helping D. with cross country skiing. Today was the first time I joined them. Wow, what a gorgeous place Grassy is when seen from skidoo trails on skis!

I was the newbie helper; going slow and supporting the new student, who was on skis for the first time. It was a great fit, as I haven't been on skis for probably 15 years (or more). Now I see why my parents and sisters are such fans. What a great sport! We only went out for half an hour, but I am looking forward to next Tuesday already.

On the weekend we got our first real dumping of snow (a foot in one fall). Grassy is now covered with powder that is knee deep everywhere. It is stunning. Today the temperatures in were in the mid-teens with a light wind chill, so it was great for being outside. All the coniferous trees have heavy coats of white in their branches that looks like it might slip off any moment. Since it is early January, by the time we were headed back to the school the sun was setting (4:20) and the sky was being swept with a wash of warm pastels.

What beauty can be found in the colour white. It has so many opportunities for reflection and shadow. I love the blue cast that the snow takes in the afternoon. I love the contrast with the warm light falling on trees and buildings.

I just hope the power doesn't go out, because we have no backup heat in our house. I wonder what the teachers will do if our power goes out? Hmmm...

I get to go out again tomorrow after school to help one of the high school teachers scope out a route for his outdoor ed. class.

No comments: