Friday, December 12, 2008

Off Roading Adventure

My goal this winter was to get through the whole winter without going off the road. I say 'was' because I did tonight.

Fi and I went into town for a girls afternoon and to shop for Christmas presents for the boys. We had a lovely time, and were successful in our mission. We dined chez Ronald (McDonald), Fi's first choice for dining in Kenora and she proudly bore her My Little Pony treat to join her collection of Ronald treats in the car.

We were about 25km from Kenora on a nice straight stretch (rare on the Grassy road), listening to Christmas carols and occasionally singing along. I was carefully scanning ahead for signs of moose, I really didn't want to hit one of those. I hear they can really dent your car. They are also occasionally cranky and will charge cars. Any, we were being cautious.

We hit a little bump and started a minor skid. I forgot Bill Cosby's advice to turn in the direction of the skid, and tried to correct. I over-corrected. So I calmly said to Fi, "Fiona I think we are going off the road."

"Oh no Mama!"

BUMP!

"Were you driving too fast?"

"No, I was being really careful."

"Are we going to be stuck in here forever?"

"No, someone will come along and help us. I need to turn the music off and think for a moment."

"Ma-ma, I'm scared!" in a wail from the backseat.

"Honey, don't cry. Let's pray."

The blessings immediately apparent; no injuries (except to my pride), we were on solid ground rather than in one of the thousand lakes along that road, the car was undamaged, and it looked to me like we might be able to get ourselves out with a little pushing power. The down-side was that winter has hardly begun and my goal is trashed, and LK will worry because we are going to be late.

So I climbed out of the car after making sure that Fi was tucked in under the cozy car blankets and had some quiet music to listen to. Outside there was a lovely light snow falling. Thankfully all the snow that fell this week has been the light fluffy stuff; terrible for snowmen and snowballs, but wonderful to shovel.

So I started shovelling. First to make sure the tailpipe was clear, and then to try and clear a path back up to the road. Ten minutes later a car pulls up with two ladies from Grassy inside. Their first question, "Is everybody okay?" They can't really help, one being pregnant, and no cell phone reception north of Kenora, but they promise to let LK know we will be late and are okay. They offer to take Fi home, but she was already stressed enough without being sent off with two people she didn't know.

It is payday Friday. There will be lots of traffic along the road going home with people heading home from town after doing their errands. I also realized that it is Small Group night in town for some of the staff; they will be driving home within a few hours also. We have a full tank of gas, warm blankets and it is only -8 outside. We are going to be fine.

Ten more minutes of shovelling go by. The next vehicle,a pickup, stops. Down rolls the window, "Is everybody okay?" Out climb three adults and one of Fi's classmates. Its Vicki. She works at the school. I am so thankful at this point because I realized I have no clue what I am doing and my dad's words echo in my head- kitty litter for traction. Although perhaps traction wasn't going to be enough to get us back on the road.

Two pickups and a police cruiser later, we were turned around 180 degrees in the ditch and drove back up on the road. Hallelujah!

I drove home the rest of the way at 60km/h. At 9:40 we pulled into the driveway and LK opened the door.

"Are you okay?"

"We are fine. Nobody hurt. Just two scared girls."

Then I started shaking. My stomach is still a bit knotted and it will be tomorrow before the kinks in my neck from hunching over the steering wheel the rest of the way home work themselves out. But we are safe and have discovered what wonderful neighbours live in Grassy.

I might need a refresher course in winter driving though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like the first accident. It leaves you shaky and uncertain and you play over and over again what you could have done differently.

Unfortunately driving in snowy areas is best accomplished by practice ~ you kept your cool which a lot of people would not have been able to do! VS